Three Kids and a Dog

Monday, July 16, 2018

One Down, One to Go!

Last week marked the start of summer sleep away camp for my kids. Austen's camp started first so I packed him up and trekked him all the way to Bloomington, Indiana, where I spent nearly four years of my late teens and early twenties. I was so excited for him to attend IU's soccer camp - mainly because I love visiting IU and secondly, because I'm secretly hoping that one of my three kids will attend college there so I have an excuse to keep going back!

Austen and I made good time getting down there, breezed through unpacking him, headed out to watch the first half of a World Cup game at one of the local restaurants then I dropped him back at the dorm to get ready for his first training session before making the four-hour trip home. (I would've stayed the whole five days but I needed to get back to finish getting Peyton ready for her week of summer camp and we were headed back to spend the weekend on Friday evening anyhow.)

Once we arrived back in Bloomington, we really got to explore how much the campus has changed since I went there more than 20 years ago. It's amazing! We found a great outdoor brewery for Friday night's dinner and then found some ice cream and walked around Bloomington with Peyton and Hailey. Saturday morning we strolled on the new B-line trail to the local farmers market, which was amazing. We picked up some local corn and then took a stroll through campus before Tom took the girls to the local pool to beat the heat. Meanwhile, I met up with an old college friend for a drink. It was so nice to catch up and to do so in our old college town. Later, I met back up with Tom and the girls and we went to a farm to table restaurant for dinner and then my old friend had recommended this baked to order cookie place for dessert where Tom and Hailey sampled their ice cream sandwich cookies. Yum!

Sunday, we woke up early to see Austen play some of his last soccer games at camp. And although exhausted and sore, he had a great time and told us he wished camp was longer. That's a good sign! He can't wait to go back next year (and I can't wait to take him!).

After taking in the World Cup final at a local restaurant (with Elk burgers), we drove about halfway home and dropped Peyton off at her sleep away camp. (That worked out really well!) She was so excited to go that she barely said goodbye to me. She couldn't wait to get to know her new friends and her counselors (she did go with one friend she knew).

Before departing, I left her many letters and a big care package at the camp post office to be delivered that I know she's going to love. I wish I could see her face when she opens her giant package tomorrow stuffed with gum, lollipops, a stuffed animal, light up balloons and bracelets, tattoos and more!

I bet she has the best time, and like Austen I bet she's sad when it's time to come home. That's the kind of experience that every parent wants their kid to have at sleep away camp. It's the best!

He's arrived and ready to go!

Austen in action!


Bloomington is better with ice cream

Hailey loved the square donuts

And the ice cream cookie sandwich

Peyton loved IU's pool

And, I belong here too!



And, Peyton is off!  Barely even looking at me to say goodbye!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home