Three Kids and a Dog

Monday, July 02, 2018

Peyton Joins the Swim Team

I don't care what you do but you're going to do something is the refrain that comes out of my mouth most often when it comes to Peyton. So when she passed out of all of her swim lessons in January but yet I didn't feel like she was very confident in the water, I suggested she try her hand at our pool's swim team.

To make the team you had to swim one length of the pool doing freestyle and the other length doing backstroke. Now I was pretty confident she could do this and she does have a beautiful stroke so it was no surprise when she made the team. But the true surprise was when they held their "mock" meet to decide who would be on the "A" team and who would be on the "B" team. I had heard that most kids who aren't on it the year before make the "B" team and Peyton was okay with this as she thought she'd win more races aka ribbons this way, but she killed it during the mock meet for times and got placed on the "A" team.

And, the "A" team is where she should be because she's still killing it with her freestyle and backstroke and she's working hard to improve her breast stroke and butterfly which has come a long way. She goes to practice every morning without complaint for an hour (you really only have to go 3 times a week but she goes 5) and she's become way more confident in the deep water. In fact, at her first meet she noticed that where she had to dive in from was 12 1/2 feet. I thought she'd quit then but she didn't!

Did I find the sport that she'll stick with yet? Maybe! But when I asked her if she wanted to do swim team next year, she says, "No, I'm good. Just this year." That elicited a big sigh from me.

Here she is killing it in her freestyle medley race with her teammates.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home