Three Kids and a Dog

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Sleepovers are Unproductive

Sleepovers are unproductive. That's what my mom used to say when I was a kid and why for the most part, I never got to sleep over my friends' houses. Well, at least not regularly. Of course she relented if they were birthday party related but your average run of the mill can I sleep over tonight at Roberta's house was usually met with a big fat no. The reason? My mom told me that it was because she didn't want to deal with me tired and all the next day.

So it's no wonder when my almost three and a half year old was invited with five of his friends to sleepover at another friend's house, I did hear my mom's voice in the back of my head, but instead let my "too young for sleepovers" son spend the night with his friends. Now I did think the mom was very brave and maybe a little crazy for inviting them all over to her house but I knew if anyone could do it she could. Of course most of the teachers at school and us moms were abuzz all week wondering if our kids would actually make it through the night or if we'd get that call in the middle of the night to come pick up our kid.

The kids were excited too all week asking if they were going to the sleepover that night. When the day finally arrived, Austen was beside himself with excitement. Tom and I dropped him off and he was none too sad to see us go. Off they went to the park....



Us moms kept up with them most of the evening via text message with reports about how our little ones were doing. Austen listened well at the park but had a bloody nose when he got back. He also was the third one to fall asleep (by 9:30pm).



They all made it through the night and ate waffles for breakfast.



Austen did great and wasn't too whiny today. It just goes to show you that sometimes sleepovers can be productive. Austen got the time to bond with his best buddies at school, especially since they aren't in the same class anymore.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home