Three Kids and a Dog

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Hot Spots



Adler has one. Now for those of you without a dog, a hot spot is a skin infection caused by any number of things including allergies, fleas, shedding and behavioral issues, and is usually common in long-haired dogs. Adler doesn't have any behavioral issues and she doesn't have fleas (I would know since my childhood dog, Bozo, had them when I was 7. Those things hurt!). So it may be allergies or shedding. Anyway, Adler's chewing and scratching of her left shoulder has left a raw, open sore that oozes a smelly fluid.

I tried to self-treat it by cutting the hair around the spot and cleaning it with mild baby shampoo and hydrogen peroxide but the next day it appeared even worse due Adler's inability to resist scratching it. I called our vet. She prescribed some spray that's supposed to help it stop itching and aid in healing. We also had to put a shirt on her to prevent her from scratching or chewing it - at least directly. Austen wasn't so happy we put a shirt on Adler. In fact, I was surprised that he was upset about it. I expected Adler to be but she didn't even bat an eye. Below are some photos and video of Austen telling us he doesn't like Adler wearing a shirt.

3 Comments:

  • Poor Adler! We hope she feels better soon. On another note though, you could be training Adler for her Halloween costume this year - doesn't look like the shirt bothers her!

    I'm shocked that Adler isn't wearing a IU shirt!!

    By Blogger Busy Mom, at 7:01 AM  

  • Are you kidding...I wouldn't waste a good IU shirt for that?!

    By Blogger Adler's Mom, at 11:44 AM  

  • Again, I'm shocked that Adler wasn't wearing an IU shirt - that belongs to her!!!

    But, if that's your thought why isn't she wearing an Illinois shirt? Haha!

    By Blogger Busy Mom, at 8:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home