Three Kids and a Dog

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Giving Up Adler

Now that I have your attention, let me just say I would never, ever give up my dog even if it meant more work for me which it does now that we have Austen. But here's how it can happen... first you get your dog - an adorable little puppy that you promise to love and play with and then you have a kid and your dog gets pushed to the wayside. It happens and it has happened recently to a few of my friends.
Many of my friends have given up their dogs once they had kids because they simply do not have the time for the dog anymore. I think this is sad. You chose to get a dog so you should make the time to spend with the dog. Of course if your dog is bad and biting your kids then it's time to find him a different home. But, just giving up your dog because you simply can't find the time to take him out or give him any attention is in my opinion 'lame.' It's like all those people who say they are sooo busy! Yeah, everyone's busy but you make the time to do the things you really want to do and sometimes you make the time to do the things that you really don't want to do but committed to.

Recently one of my other friends who I'm happy to say has twins -yes, twins that are almost three years old - found out she may be moving to London. Instead of dwelling on how her children will adjust to starting school overseas she's been obsessed about making sure her dog is properly quarantined to be moved over there (I guess it takes six months.) Kudos to her for not wanting to leave her pet behind! She even told her husband that if the dog can't go it's a deal breaker. So in the midst of many of my friends giving away their pets, here's a woman who would do the same thing I would when having to make the decision - does he stay or does he go?

2 Comments:

  • I agree. Of course, it's a much easier decision when you have a great dog.

    It is lame, but if someone can find a better home for their dog then maybe both dog and person will be better off. It would be terrible to come home everyday and resent seeing your dog. Then again, these people really should've thought harder before getting the dog in the first place.

    By Blogger Perry, at 2:22 PM  

  • I'd be that parent that would give away the dog! Heehee. Seriously though, it gets very overwhelming having a new baby and a pet. You do feel guilty that you don't give your pet, who was your "baby" before you had a baby the attention they once received. But, I do have two cats that I didn't give away and now they are my kids best friends.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home