Three Kids and a Dog

Saturday, March 17, 2007

Adler and Austen Go to the Doctor

This week Adler, Austen and I were busy making doctors visits. Adler for her yearly check up and Austen for his two month appointment. I was excited to see how much weight Austen had gained and dreaded finding out how much Adler had put on. I was also dreading the much anticipated shots for the both of them.

They both handled the shots like champs. Austen got stuck three times in the thigh and wailed loudly when they stuck him but promptly calmed down and spent most of the remaining day and the next morning sleeping to recover. Adler pretty much hid behind me in the exam room even though her vet is a female and Adler loves women! It was as if she instinctively knew this was a place she didn't want to be. So they sent me out of the room to stick her with her three shots. Usually she sleeps a lot after but it seemed that this time the shots barely affected her. Must've been that she is a much bigger dog this year than in years past.

This was proven by her sitting on the electronic scale in the vet's office. It registered 84.4 pounds. I have no idea how she gained 10 pounds from last year! I knew the vet was going to say she was overweight and she did. She told me Adler needed to lose about 15 pounds which is equivalent to about 50 human pounds. I think 15 is too skinny for a Berner so I'm going to shoot for 10 pounds for Adler. The vet suggested underwater treadmill walking. Tom laughed at that one. We won't be paying to take our dog on a treadmill so she can lose some weight. But we will be limiting her treats and no more people food either. That's so hard when those big brown eyes are looking at you and her chin is resting on your lap.

Anyway, Austen gained too - one pound and 10 ounces. He's now 11 pounds, 1 ounce and growing quickly. I can't wait til he's big enough to really enjoy Adler and for Adler to really enjoy him. I'm sure they will be the best of friends.


3 Comments:

  • Underwater treadmill for a dog? That's hilarious! Maybe Tom can start a running program and take Adler with him. That'll help her lose some weight and might be beneficial for him too.

    By Blogger Perry, at 12:24 PM  

  • perry, are you saying I am fat?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:41 PM  

  • That picture is hilarious. Considering how much Adler dislikes water I don't think that seems like a good plan. Perhaps Perry will volunteer to take Adler for a run -that'll wear her out!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 12:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home