Three Kids and a Dog

Sunday, July 22, 2012

Our City Garden

When I was a little girl, I remember my grandmother had this enormous garden or so it seemed enormous when I was younger. I remember walking through the dirt aisles and admiring the tomatoes and cucumbers and all the herbs.  But, I was never really interested in growing one myself or having one as part of our yard (when we get one).

I think I changed my mind.  We probably have one more year in the city before a big move to the suburbs but that didn't stop Tom from planting a little garden for the kids to take care of and enjoy.  They planted tomatoes, cilantro, cucumbers and peppers.

Each day Austen is so proud to remember to water the plants in the garden. Initially it was just him and Tom that would trek to the back deck and fill up an old soda bottle (we'll need to get a proper watering can when we have a real yard!) to feed the garden.  But Peyton has taken an interest too and Austen has been coaching her on the proper way to water the plants.

The fruits of their labor have paid off as they were so excited to announce that a pepper and tomato have been growing in their garden.



2 Comments:

  • That is awesome!

    By Blogger Perry, at 10:29 AM  

  • My two year old loves to "help" in the garden. That's why I can never get a red tomato, she picks them green :). I can't wait until she's older and can actually understand the purpose of gardening.

    By Blogger NP, at 2:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home