Three Kids and a Dog

Monday, August 29, 2011

A Trip to the ER

So a few weeks ago, we had to make a midnight run to the emergency room....for dogs. At about 9:30 pm, Adler was attempting to throw up but couldn't. She was clearly uncomfortable when she laid down and she was drooling excessively.

Like all good moms, I did some preliminary research on the internet and watched her closely for a few hours. My research told me that when a dog is nauseous it drools excessively. But I was also concerned about bloat. The Bernese Mountain Dog is particularly susceptible to bloat and it can be fatal in a matter of hours. I did not want to go to sleep to wake up to find Adler in dire straits so I put on my flip flops and drove my dog to the emergency vet.

Two hours and more than $300 later, they tell me she is fine. She did not have bloat but she did have excessive amounts of gas in her stomach (note all those tiny bubbles in her x-ray). That's fine, I'll pay more than $300 and be sleep deprived so I didn't have to go to work the next day worrying about my dog. She's worth it to me.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home