Three Kids and a Dog

Monday, March 30, 2009

Austen Learns to Put on His Own Coat

A few weeks ago when I was picking up Austen from school, his teachers told me he had something to show me. Thinking it was something he made that day at school, I waited for him to present his latest craft project. Instead, he went to his coat hook and took down his jacket. He laid it out carefully on the floor making sure the hood was facing him. Next, I saw him bend down and put his arms into the armholes of the coat, lifting the entire coat over his head and then down around his shoulders until it was on correctly. I was amazed. What a neat trick to teach a 2-year-old so he can be more self sufficient.

I guess that Montessori education is paying off. I'll have to admit now that I'm a convert to the whole Montessori education. In the last year, I've seen the benefits. Austen doesn't use sippy cups because he can drink out of a glass. He doesn't wear diapers or pull ups because he's pretty much potty trained (yes, it can work for boys at this early age). And, he can even put on his own coat and shoes. All this at the age of 2 (really 26 months). I don't think Austen or any future children we may have will be going anywhere else.

3 Comments:

  • OMG - he is so cute! I also am impressed with the Montessori, I think it's great that he is learning to be so self sufficient.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 6:00 PM  

  • Now that is cute! Do they teach kids how to balance hats on their nose too? 'cause nothing would beat a 2-year old with a hat balancing on his nose.

    By Blogger Perry, at 9:19 AM  

  • awesome!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 10:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home