Three Kids and a Dog

Monday, April 07, 2008

Remembering Ethan

I must have kissed Austen a million times since Saturday, touching his sweet little face and silently thanking God that he is here with me. On Saturday, I received a text message while out shopping that Ethan Powell had passed on. Ethan Powell, if you remember from my June 2007 blog post, was the little boy who was only a month older than Austen that was diagnosed with Leukemia at his 2 month old check up. I've followed religiously his parents' daily updates on their blog for Ethan for almost a year now (I hooked my sister in law on the site as well - that's who texted me).

I bought a blue bracelet that I wore for almost a year symbolizing that I believed Ethan would get better. Donated money to St. Judes. And, I prayed more than I have ever prayed consistently in my life for this little guy because I was so touched by him and his story and his parents' strength. But, on Saturday, he lost his battle with Leukemia at 16 months old.

I'm confident that in his short life, Ethan touched more lives than just my own (judging from the following on his Web site). So to Ethan, who is a great big star somewhere tonight, I say, thank you for touching my soul, reminding me to be grateful for the things that I have and for restoring my faith.

2 Comments:

  • Thanks for this great post! I saw this you tube video the day that Ethan died - it is heartwrenching yet beautiful at the same time. No parent should have to go through losing a child and as Ethan's dad said, ".. no child should have to die because of a lack of cure." Thanks for introducing me to him Karyn - I feel like he is a part of the family. Now we all have to start praying for Ethan's friend, Sully - http://sullivanfarrar.com

    The Sister-in-law

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:50 PM  

  • What a truly sad story. It is amazing the power of the internet to make you care about someone you've never even met.

    It's stories like these that make me wonder why God is so cruel. It's also why I stopped praying.

    By Blogger Perry, at 12:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home