Three Kids and a Dog

Saturday, September 02, 2023

Grounded from Golf

This happened a few weeks ago but I would be remiss if I didn't write about it. In May, after some coaxing and convincing by friends at our country club (some new, some old), I was convinced to take up golf. I was just ending my paddle tennis season and we had been members for two years and I still hadn't stepped foot on the golf course. I love being outside and we pay all this money to be golf members where only Tom and Austen golf so I thought why not try it. Now I had only been to the driving range a few times and I wasn't a natural so first, I decided I needed a few lessons. I took three and went to the driving range a few times then my friends convinced me that I just needed to get out there and join the Women's Golf League. So I did. Every Tuesday from May thru September. I played, I practiced. I did really bad. I was not good. But I was learning and I liked being outside and I liked the challenge of trying to get better. Tom and I played some nine and dines; we played together as a family (with Peyton and/or Hailey hitting a few in between); we played with another couple. I was not good but it was fun. 

So back to a couple of weeks ago, my very competitive first-born who was very reluctant to give me any pointers even though he's a much better golfer than me or even Tom, was a little miffed that now he has to share his golf time with me. Never mind that he's teaching one of his good friends to play golf and I'm sure giving him a lot of tips, and he's not good either but somehow he must feel threatened by my athletic ability and the fact that if he gives me some golf tips, I'll beat him! Ha! Hailey was at a sleepover that night so we had a foursome with Peyton, Austen, me and Tom, and out we went. I was not playing great but I was enjoying the evening with my two oldest and riding along in a golf cart with Tom. Peyton was with Austen, and apparently Austen was unaware of how dumb he was being telling Peyton how bad I was when I was hitting and how I was going to put this one in the water (which I did). Well, Peyton at a break gets out of her cart and tells me everything that Austen has just said about me. Did it hurt my feelings? No, because I am realistic about my golf abilities and the fact that it's my first year playing. But I was appalled that this kid was so mean that he could just make fun of me like that without offering any tips or words of wisdom. I immediately gave it to him in the middle of hole 16 and told him that he was grounded from golf for two weeks. Not just at our course but playing at any other course with his friends too. This sent him into a tailspin because as he said he didn't know I would ground him. Well, my competitive first-born, I'm competitive too and I'm your mama, show some respect and help a mother out! I'm learning and happy with my progress this season. I'm not great but I'm enjoying myself and look out cuz I'm coming for you and someday I will beat you!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home