Three Kids and a Dog

Thursday, August 24, 2023

First Days of 11th, 8th and 4th Grades

Lots of first days this week! Austen started on Monday with a half day so he didn't have to go in until noon but he did have to get up for his ACT prep class at 9am. Yes, it's that year - Junior Year - the big one where your classes are hard and you have to prep for all of these college entrance exams. I don't feel bad for him though - he has more resources to do better than Tom and I did. 

Not sure which class he likes best as he closes out his first week. He has talked a lot about his AP US History class and is very interested in the issues being discussed there. He is also taking an honors architecture class too where he says the teacher talks a lot but he's excited to use Auto Cad and start designing things. Could be a pivotal class as he decides this year if he really wants to pursue architecture. He's also debating dropping his PE class for a study hall first semester (since he can get a waiver for being a Varsity athlete) and he seems more excited about his English class this year as they review and analyze movies. But, his Biology class might be his favorite so far because he really likes his teacher and all of his friends are in that class. So he's really happy he didn't do AP Bio this year. So I guess he is off to a solid start. 

Peyton started her last year of middle school on Tuesday. I think she's ready to move on to high school quite frankly! She's really become an advocate for herself. I remember being so worried when she was transitioning from 5th grade to middle school that I would have to be on her more for tests and homework. Nope. She does it all and is super responsible if she needs to miss a class and gets her work done. She did have to change a few elective classes after deciding she didn't want to be enrolled in drama anymore but she handled that all on her own. 

I'm really proud of my older two for really being self starters and advocating for themselves. It's not like I never have to give them guidance but I rarely check their grades (accessible to us in real time) and never for missing assignments. They really have been great students and I'm grateful that I don't have to be that nag checking every little thing they do. What a blessing!

Hailey once again didn't get the teacher she really wanted but was just as happy she didn't get the teacher that she did NOT want. She came home from school the first day very happy. She said her teacher, Mrs. Matt, loves reading and they were going to get along great because of that! Ha! Here's a girl after my own heart as I see so much of me in her - writing stories and just a kid who loves to read. Besides IU, my other happy place is the library or a bookstore. There's just this calm that comes over me when I walk in there and I notice the same about Hailey. We could spend hours in either! Anyway, she's very happy with 4th grade so far - has some good "guy" friends in there and a gaggle of girlfriends. 

We're off to a great school year! 


First Day of 4th Grade

First Day of 8th Grade - Hurry up mom!

First Day of 11th Grade








0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home