Three Kids and a Dog

Saturday, August 05, 2023

Only Sadie

Last week, when we were in Michigan (more on our 11 days/10 nights there in my next post), I woke up and peered over the edge of my bed to where Sadie was sleeping comfortably on her plush dog bed. She seemed content so I added a couple of extra minutes to my snooze. 

Next time, I looked at her, she was bleeding from the mouth. Huge amounts of blood leaking out the left side of her mouth. As I tried to contain her bleeding to just her dog bed, Tom ran to get paper towels so we could figure out what was going on. She was literally fine a few moments before. She didn't get up (that would be a miracle), she didn't hit it accidentally that I knew of and now here she was with a mouth full of blood.  We tried to figure out where the blood was coming from. Did she crack a tooth? There was so much blood at first, we couldn't see. When we finally got it under control, we thought it was from her gums. Somehow her gums were bleeding. My vet has been vigilant about telling me that we need to brush Sadie's teeth but while we tried for a bit, it wasn't a high priority and I always thought she'd die of other things first before any type of gum disease. To be honest, it was very low on my list of priorities for her! 

I texted her vet with some pictures and she did her best to not tell me, "I told you so!" Anyway, the bleeding stop. She didn't need any medical treatment and she was the best patient. Just sat there so serenely why Tom and I shoved paper towels in her mouth and packed her gums with them like gauze. She didn't try to eat it, she just laid still and let us do what we needed to do to tend to her. 

Seriously, she is such a sweet, sweet dog. Here are some pics of our Sadie girl with her gum injury and her mouth all packed with paper towels. 







0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home