Three Kids and a Dog

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Dolphins, Jellyfish and Crabs...Oh My!

We just returned from a week long vacation on Folly Island in South Carolina. Last year, I read about this beach town on Yahoo as one of the best beaches and thought we'd try it out. It didn't disappoint. This sleepy beach town had the perfect surf, beach and the chain stores hadn't infiltrated it yet (i.e. Starbucks).

We drove the 15 plus hours so we could even take Adler on vacation. We left in the afternoon on a Friday and broke up the drive into two days. Let's just say, Adler was great. I often said to Tom, I'll take three of her any day! Here's a little snapshot of our trek out there.




We rented a house on the beach and the views were amazing. There's nothing like waking up every morning and seeing the ocean. In fact, there's nothing like seeing it from all parts of your house even the shower!




In the morning we saw dolphins swimming. We also saw pelicans, crabs and Austen learned about jellyfish. There was also sand dollars lining the beach and many seashells to be picked up. Austen learned to boogie board (brought back some memories for me) and Peyton learned how to build sand castles.






The way home was easier than the way there. The kids were great. We lunched at a rest area in the Smoky Mountains. Austen made friends with another boy picnicking there with his family. And, Peyton liked the dad and decided she was going to go sit in his lap!

All in all, it was a great week. And it makes me recall all the beach time I put in on the Atlantic. I am happy my kids will experience a piece of that even though they're from the Midwest.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home