Three Kids and a Dog

Sunday, October 07, 2018

The Pizzelle

The Pizzelle - defined as an Italian waffle cookie has special meaning for me. I remember as a little girl watching my Italian grandmother make these deliciously, light cookies in what looked like a double waffle maker. She would stack them up on the dessert tray after dinner and I probably would eat too many of them. I especially loved eating them as a sandwich with peanut butter and jelly in between.

So imagine my surprise when I started seeing a nutritionist (because I wanted to revamp how I ate and how my family ate) and she told me that these cookies are the perfect, low carb sweet treat. I found an old love made into my new favorite dessert - of course I can't pair them with the regular peanut butter and jelly but I can get pretty close with some PB2 (powdered peanut butter packed with protein and little fat) and light/low sugar jelly.

However, my kids have really enjoyed eating pizzelles with PB&J (as kids they need the fat more than I do) as a snack after they come home from school. And, I'm enjoying remembering my grandmother and how many memories that pizzelle brings back.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home