Three Kids and a Dog

Monday, September 07, 2015

Mommy's Coming!

 Last week, Hailey officially started "school" too. Now that she's almost two she desperately needs some socialization with other kids without her mom around. She started in the toddler house at the Montessori school where Peyton attends in the mornings. She only goes Monday- Wednesdays for two hours but it's enough to get comfortable with other kids and learn the Montessori ways like washing hands, drinking from a cup and cleaning up!

I drank the Kool Aid early on about Montessori when Austen was little. Not knowing much about Montessori, I enrolled him in a school only because it was close to our house and took infants.  I was quickly impressed how, at young ages, they fostered independence in children such as putting on their own shoes and coats, toileting and washing hands, etc. It really is an amazing foundation for life and I wanted Hailey to benefit from that too.

So how did she do? During the orientation (when I was in the classroom) she was playing with all of the works and I knew we had made the right decision to send her there. Good thing I saw that too because there were definitely tears as they got her out of my car during car line in the morning once school actually started. I could tell she cried during the morning too like most of the other kids her age that I saw but they noted that she is getting better.

Last week before she left, the teachers asked me to remind her about school over the long weekend by saying their names so I started doing this. Hailey's response when I did was "Mommy's coming!" I couldn't help but laugh. I tried a few more times and got the same response.  So I can only deduce that they try to reassure her that I am coming. I'm just amazed that she associates two teachers names that she just heard last week with "Mommy's coming!" Quick learner!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home