Three Kids and a Dog

Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Then There Were Three


It was a beautiful Sunday evening. The heat wave that sometimes seemed oppressive released its grip and allowed cool breezes to ruffle trees and muss hair. Wanting to hold on to this blessed weather, Tom and I leashed Adler and took her for her second long walk of the day. We headed out the front door. Me, Tom and Adler. No Bugaboo stroller. No child asking for lollipops. Just me able to hold my husband's hand as he held Adler's leash. It was just the three of us again.

It's been so long since it was just three of us that my mind really has to think back and conjure up some memories from those days. Of course all I tend to remember is Adler pulling me along the icy sidewalks when I was about 9 months pregnant while I chastised her for going too fast. Or, the time she made me drop a full cup of just-purchased hot chocolate because something suddenly got her attention. Of course Adler is about 2 1/2 years older now and probably a much more mellow dog so this evening the three of us enjoyed our walk - running around chasing each other in the park and pretending Adler was a prize jumper as she leapt over park benches.

Austen has been on vacation at Grandma's house for three days now, but I don't think Adler has missed him at all. And, why would she? She gets to sleep later, gets all of our undivided attention and doesn't always have to have her eyes peeled for toy cars ready to run her over or Austen's broom that's swinging too close to her head.

What I'm sure she does miss though is the freebies. There hasn't been waffles from Austen during breakfast or hot dogs designated for "Abbie" from dinner. In fact, I'm sure she's lost a pound or two these last three days.

Not to worry, Adler, chicken nuggets are on the menu for tonight and Austen will be home in plenty of time to feed them to you.

1 Comments:

  • Wow, lucky you to have three plus days of just you and your husband! Not sure what that is like, but hopefully we won't have to spend our 10th anniversary at Chuck E. Cheese again!

    By Blogger Busy Mom, at 10:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home