Three Kids and a Dog

Monday, May 20, 2019

Really?!

Both Peyton and Hailey are total pack rats. You should see their rooms. Bags of little toys, paper, band aids, and a multitude of other things stuffed in their closets and under their beds. Peyton started this habit first and has taught Hailey the art of being a pack rat so now I'm not sure who is worse but it drives me nuts as I can't stand a messy room.

One of Hailey's favorite things to collect is the free activity sheets at restaurants for kids. You know the ones they give you that have activities and the kids menu on them. Hailey likes to draw on them and then she loves to take these home and stuff them under her bed. We've been trying to convince her that she doesn't need these to no avail, but finally on Friday night, I persuaded her.

I pulled her aside and told her that she needs to leave these on the table because they collect them and they put them up by the beds of children who have no arms and can't draw so she needs to leave them there. She happily got up and walked away from the table on Friday night without it. One point for mommy.

Well on Sunday night while at another restaurant, she happily declared to our table that she didn't need to bring home her coloring because they are for the children with no arms. I almost spit out my drink. Trying to contain my laughter, I must've looked like I was crying because Austen was like, "Really? They use those for that? Oh." Then he continues to say we can't talk about this because it's going to make mom cry as he mistook my body convulsing with silent laughter as sobs. Turning away from Hailey so she wouldn't see my laughing, I hear Peyton say, "Hailey, you know what they really do with those, right? They throw them in the garbage as soon as we leave!"

Oh my, how is my 9 year old smart as a whip and my 12 year old so naive? Ha! Still I thwarted Peyton's attempt to see Hailey cry by her admission of the truth and then told Austen on the side that it wasn't true but that's what I told Hailey! Jeez, maybe he really does still believe in Santa Claus. Oh Austen. Pure sweetness and naivete from that one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home