Three Kids and a Dog

Thursday, March 14, 2024

Hailey Needs a Lesson in Playing Hard to Get

Hailey is all about the boys. She has a lot of friends who are just boys but ever since she was little she becomes obsessed with one certain boy and she can't get enough of him. 

So for the past month her crush has been a boy named Hudson. Well, Hudson is supposedly "dating" one of her friends. But don't worry, she assures me that her friend is breaking up with him so soon she can move in on him. What?!

Anyway, lately she's been having me pack mints in her lunch. They are not allowed to share food due to allergies but the mints are small enough for them to squirrel away in their pockets and divvy up to their favorite friends. I guess this is the 4th grade currency right now because Hailey almost had a melt down when I told her I was not putting mints in her lunch because she was coming home with almost her entire lunch. Well, truthfully it was only the healthy stuff she was coming home with as she would eat her chips and cookies but her sandwich and fruit were still in her lunchbox. I withheld the mints for one day and she quickly learned to eat all of her lunch or she wouldn't get mints. 

So back to the mint saga. One of the reasons she liked getting mints was because Hudson always asked her for a mint. She came home one day and shared that she had given Hudson a mint and then he immediately went over to his girlfriend and asked her to a fake prom. In Hailey's words, she was "pissed." Well, I said, stop giving him mints. 

Hailey: What? Why?

Me: Because he's totally knows you like him and will give him mints and he'll still keep his girlfriend.

Hailey: So what should I do?

Me: Next time he asks you for a mint you tell him to get a mint from his girlfriend.

Hailey: He will say she doesn't have any.

Me: Then you say, it's time then for a new girlfriend and then you turn and walk away.

Hailey: Oh, okay, I'll try it tomorrow.

She does and she comes home mad at me. 

Hailey: Mom! Hudson won't even talk to me now because I wouldn't give him a mint.

Me: Good I say. Keep doing what you're doing. He'll come around. 

Two days later, she breaks and runs up to him and gives him a mint before he leaves school early for a golf tournament. The girl has not learned anything! He'll never break up with her friend now. But, I'm sure she'll be on to a new guy anyway in a few months. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home