Three Kids and a Dog

Thursday, September 12, 2024

Sadie's Cart

Sadie has slowed down a lot over the past 6 months. It's become increasingly difficult for her to get up stairs which makes it very hard to even get her in and out of our house since we have so many stairs in our house. Just to get her out the front door is a good 6-7 stairs (the back ones have been too steep for awhile now). And, while I can get her down those stairs with some muscle, getting 110 pounds of her back up those stairs has been challenging. 

Wanna go for a ride?!
So I've been telling Tom I need something else to get her inside every day to make it easier. I looked at ramps and didn't care what my house looked like because on a daily basis I was struggling just to get her back inside. Plus, I wanted some privacy as I'm tired of the stares that people give us when we walk with her and the questions. Most of our neighbors are aware of her limitations but I just don't want to talk about it all the time and be stared at or stopped and asked questions. I just want to take out my dog and let her enjoy being outside like any other dog would - although I know she's not like a lot of other dogs. 

Anyway, Tom built her a ramp off our very steep back deck. Of course initially we were thinking she'd walk down it but once built there was no way she would be able to walk back up it because it was so steep. So Tom built a cart to put her in with a pulley system to get her up and down more easily. It took awhile and a bit to work out some kinks once operational but it's a lot easier to get her into the house now and a bit more private than having to drag her up the front stairs. 

She doesn't seem to mind the free ride either!


How it starts


How it goes

The full look 


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home