Three Kids and a Dog

Wednesday, March 08, 2023

The Sleepover

A few weeks ago, Hailey came home from school and informed me that she was planning a sleepover with a bunch of girls in her class and it was going to be at our house. Now this is my kid who doesn't want me around at all. No volunteering to coach or being her room parent and helping out in the library. And, if I do then she pays no attention to me. When I recently volunteered for Hot Lunch, she completely avoided my line and pretended like she didn't know me (all her friends came through my line though)! 

The DIY Tents
So imagine my surprise when she tells me she wants a sleepover with six girls (yes, six!) at our house. Not wanting to totally squash her plans, I ask her to provide me with more information on what she was thinking for this event. The first point of discussion was the number of girls. There were five girls from her class and one is a twin so naturally we had to invite her sister too. I reminded her that her birthday was in October and I had asked her at that time if she wanted a sleepover and she told me no. But now, almost six months later, here we are and she wants a sleepover. So I tell her let's continue to discuss it. I'm not saying no but I wasn't sure we could even find a free night within the next month or so where we could hold this event. That wasn't good enough for Hailey and she refused to talk to me the entire way to soccer practice as she said now she was going to have to go back and tell her friends that she lied about having the sleepover at her house. Nevermind that I had more than one parent asking me if I had heard of the sleepover plans at my house yet!

So Tom and I put our heads together and came up with a date and a theme! We invited six girls (only four could make it - darn!) and decided on a St. Patrick's Day party. I had seen these cool sleepover tents that Tom created and got online and purchased some Shamrock lights, fabric, matching blankets and some other St. Patrick's Day fun things. We were ready! 

The girls requested Chik fil a, mac n cheese and pizza. They had some veggies and Shamrock cookies as well as a Leprechaun trail mix comprised of Golden Grahams, mini marshmallows and green peanut M&Ms. They completed some Shamrock word scrambles and crosswords, and then watched a movie on Apple TV called "Luck." They talked and talked (til 1:30am) and were up early. They ate Lucky Charms, Shamrock pancakes and donuts, and all were gone by 9:30am. 

Hailey wasn't too tired and crabby the rest of the day but she went to bed early and fell asleep as soon as her head hit the pillow even though she said she wasn't that tired! The next day, upon seeing her friends at school, she said they declared it the best sleepover ever! So A+ to Tom and me! 



Hanging out in their tents

Getting ready for the movie

Breakfast time!

Shamrocks for breakfast


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home