Three Kids and a Dog

Monday, November 09, 2020

My New Job

Don't get too excited because it's not a job that I'm hoping I will be in for the long haul but it's been my new job this fall.  I've turned into a teacher. Not just any old teacher mind you but an art, PE, science, social studies, math and reading teacher. You name it, I do all the first grade subjects with Hailey. And by doing them, I am reminded why I never wanted to become a teacher. Still because I'm anal and organized, we do it all. Well, maybe I'm a little behind on the PE (don't tell my mom) but my kids get plenty of exercise through extracurricular activities and walks so this PE is just annoying (in my opinion) and for the inactive kids to do when they have time! 

At any rate, I created a water xylophone for science class; helped Hailey figure out how shadows move with flashlights and a paper gnome; helped teach her how to keep the beat in music class or what's a ti ti and what's a ta; and am her art assistant - getting her supplies ready for her to begin her art class and getting yelled at if the video keeps playing and I'm too slow gathering the markers, eraser, pencil, crayons, etc. 

My other new job is chef. My kids quickly grew tired of having the same sandwiches for lunch so I created about 20 note cards (and counting) of different lunches I could make for them to keep it exciting (and give me yet another thing I need to do). But so far, we've discovered some really fun ways to eat lunch including waffle sticks, corn dogs, mini bagel sandwiches, homemade hot pockets and some holiday themed food like chocolate chip pumpkin muffins and mummy dogs. 

Maybe this beats making lunches for my kids every day but I also believe that social time during lunch is so important too. Hailey especially is missing out on bringing a lunch box for the first time to eat with her friends at school. I know this won't last forever but it's feeling like it may last this school year. I lost count of how many months we've been doing this now and was astonished to actually count 8 months. Eight. It's probably going to be much longer. I'm hoping by March/April things are somewhat back to normal and by that I mean the kids are back in school full time and sports/extra curricular activities can continue as they had before. Fingers double crossed.






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home