Three Kids and a Dog

Monday, February 08, 2010

Austen Learns to Ski


One Sunday, we decided it was time to take Austen skiing. He's three now so we thought he might be at an age where he would listen to some direction. Well, the first thing he said to Tom when he got Austen out on the little bunny hill was, "I want to do it myself!" And, to that, Tom replied, "You don't even know how to do it so let me explain it to you!" Much to our surprise he actually did listen and take direction. There were a couple of memorable moments (as told to me by Tom since I was in the lodge with Peyton although I did get to see him through some windows for a run or two):

1) Tom told Austen that when he wants to stop he needed to put his skis into a pizza shape. Well, Austen does not like pizza so he refused to do this. Telling him to make a triangle or something else worked a lot better!

2) Over the course of the almost two-hour session with Tom, Austen only fell twice but one time he did a really good face plant. Of course, like most three-year-olds, he started crying. Tom asked him if he was hurt anywhere. He told Tom no and then Tom asked him if he wanted to ski some more. Through his tears he said yes and went back up the hill ready to try it again.

3) My nieces met us at the ski hill and when they walked in I noticed they were wearing helmets. These helmets are staples for kids these days but they didn't rent helmets like they did skis so Austen wasn't wearing one. That night we promptly went to the store to purchase a helmet for Austen so he has one now and I can't wait for him to wear it. He looks like a little daredevil (so don't chastise me for the pics and video of him sans helmet).

Austen has really good balance which I think will help him skiing. When he was younger he was always really good at the balance beam in gym class and at school so I wasn't surprised that he did so well skiing his first time around.


Lesson one seemed to be a success. Not once did Austen say he was cold and wanted to go inside. Although in the video below he does say he's hungry and wanted to eat lunch. A day on the slopes sure works up a good appetite!


1 Comments:

  • Plus most pizza is rectangle shaped these days - that'd be tough to stop!

    By Blogger Busy Mom, at 1:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home